The alternative Rainbow Mountain
Outside of Cusco lies a truly magical landscape of painted colored mountains and sweeping red valleys in the Andes. Rainbow Mountain, also known as Vinicunca, has become something of a ‘must-see’ site on the traditional tourist circuit in Cusco, but is now besieged by hundreds of daily visitors who hike at altitude for a single instagram photo. Few travelers realize that nearby there are in fact multiple rainbow mountains dotting this other-worldly landscape and that Palcoyo, an area of truly breath-taking beauty, can also be visited as a day-trip from Cusco. Known as the ‘alternative rainbow mountain’, Palcoyo sees far fewer visitors and requires much less up-hill hiking, making it a great way to admire Peru’s natural wonders without having to jostle for the best vantage point.
Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain “Private Service” (Full day)
We will pick up from your Hotel: 4:00 AM with our Private Transport we will drive until the small village of Checacupe (located south of Cusco). Where, we will make a stop to see an inca and a colonial bridge and also to grab some last-minute ítems like drinks, snacks, sunblock, rain poncho, etc.
After the short stop we continue one more hour to the base camp. Once we arrive there, we take a short and gradual uphill walk (30-45 minutes) to the Palcoyo Pass (4880m/16,000ft). Here you will have spectacular panoramic views of the 3 Rainbow Mountains and the spectacular Palccoyo peaks as well, as the highest mountain in the Cusco region (Ausangate) and also the Stone Forest in the highest point. We will spend 1 hour at the pass taking pictures and enjoying the spectacular view.
Return and Lunch.
Once we are done enjoying the scenery we walk back down by the same way to the base camp. We now take our private transport and enjoy a delicious, freshly prepared, hot lunch.
After lunch, we will catch our private van back to Cusco. We will drop you off in your hotel.
You will be in Cusco aproximately 5:30 pm.
- Pick up from you hotel.
- Round trip transportation in our bus (bed sit).
- 1 Buffet lunch (eat as much as you like!)
- Hot drinks.
- Professional Tour Guide.
- Assistant tour Guide (only for 9 people or more)
- First Aid kit and Oxygen bottle.
- Entrance fee.
- Horse for emergencies.
- Alcoholic drinks and others not mentioned on the list
- Walking stick USD 5.00 (each).
- Rain poncho (can be bought anywhere in the city or along the trail).
- Horse for entire trip (USD 35.00)
What you need to take
- Daypack, warm clothes (scarf, sweaters, rainjacket, gloves)
- Walking boots.
- Walking sticks
- Rain poncho
- Sun hat + sunglasses.
- Toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
- Extra money, minimum 250.00 soles (USD $80.00)
Private service price 2020
Private (Imperial) Service Price: We run this tour only as a Private Service
- USD 199.00 per person for a Group of 2 people (prices reduce if there are more people in your group).
- USD 165.00 per person for a Group of 3 people.
- USD 140.00 per person for a Group of 4 people.
- USD 120.00 per person for a Group of 5 people.
- USD 99.00 per person for a Group of 6 people.
- USD 90.00 per person for a Group of 7 people.
- USD 75.00 per person for a Group of 8 +
Important: Max. Group Size 16 people with 2 Guides.