Overview of the 2 Day Train Tour to Machu Picchu - Private Service
Our two day train tour to Machu Picchu takes you on one of the most incredible train journeys in the world. Following the route of the Urubamba River all the way to the cloud forest that surrounds Machu Picchu you enjoy the beautiful scenery of the high Andes throughout the course of the journey. On arrival to Aguas Calientes you check in to your comfortable hotel for the night and get a good night's sleep so you can be up at the crack of dawn to visit Machu Picchu the following day.
By booking your train tour to Machu Picchu with Llamapath you are choosing the best. Don't believe us? Check out our reviews on TripAdvisor!
- Altitude at Machu Picchu - 2400m / 7873ft.
- Train To Machu Picchu - Peru Rail Expedition Train
- Distance from Cusco to Machu Picchu - 112km / 69.6 miles
- Weather - dry from May to October, wet from November to April
- To climb Huayna Picchu mountain you need to book in advance
NEW 2019 MACHU PICCHU REGULATIONS
Machu Picchu was recognized as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1983. UNESCO has been concerned with the increase of visitors to Machu Picchu within the last few years and worries that these crowds are causing damage. They have established new regulations for 2019 to reduce visitor traffic within this archaeological complex.
These new regulations took effect on January 1, 2019. All visitors are now limited to 4 hour visiting sessions. Tickets to Machu Picchu are now divided into three daily sessions: early morning (6AM – 9AM), late morning (9AM – 12PM) and early afternoon (12PM – 3PM). Within these sessions, visitors must choose a specific hour to visit. This is to regulate and reduce visitor traffic within the citadel– each hour is limited to 600 visitors.
The new regulations will have a direct impact on: Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain (not to be confused with the citadel itself). In order to enjoy your tour of the citadel and hike the additional mountains, you will need to purchase an extra entrance ticket to the ruins extending your time allowed inside.
All tours include the entrance to Machu Picchu but, in order, to hike Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will need to purchase an additional Machu Picchu entrance ticket with the Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu permit, which will cost a total of $ 25 per person. These new regulations will come into effect starting January 1, 2019 and will apply towards all tours.
These are new regulations that took effect starting January of 2019, keep visiting our page and social sites for more information or updates on these regulations.
Day 1: Cusco - Aguas Calientes
Leaving from Cusco in the morning (aprox.10:00 am) we'll travel by bus (2 hours) to the village of Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley where we'll board our train to Aguas Calientes (about 2 hours ride). With beautiful scenery throughout the journey the train journey itself is an experience. Following the course of the river down the Sacred Valley you'll arrive to Aguas Calientes by about lunchtime and after checking in to your hotel you'll have the afternoon free. If you want to take advantage of your free afternoon you can visit the Machu Picchu museum and orchid exhibition which is a 35 minute walk outside of the village or you can just relax in the hot springs that the village is named after.
Day 2: Machu Picchu!
Waking up early ,we'll take the bus up to Machu Picchu to enter the site . We'll have a 2 hour guided tour of the site during which you'll learn about the Incas and visit all the most important areas of the citadel. After your tour you'll have free time to explore the site by yourself and if you have permits to climb either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain. In the afternoon (aprox. 16:00 to 17:00) you will take the train back to Ollantaytambo from where you will carry on by bus back to Cusco (arrives between 8-9pm).
Please Note: Exact times will be confirmed as it depends on the train`s availability and on your booking time.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide in Machu Picchu for two hours.
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Transportation by bus to and from Ollantaytambo
- Return transportation by Expedition train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- 1 Breakfast
- 3 star hotel
- Entrance to Machu Picchu and 2 hour guided tour of the site
- Return bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
Does not include
- Meals excluding breakfast in your hotel on day 2
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Travel Insurance - you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip
What you need to take
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
Private Service Pricess:
- 1 person US$ 575 per person
- 2 people US$ 485 per person
- 3 people US$ 460 per person
- 4 people US$ 415 per person
- 5+ people US$ 395 per person
Please NOTE: This tour runs only as Private Service.
Student Discount: US$20 (Requires Studen Card to qualify (and be NO older than 25 Years Old)
Under 18's Discount: US$20
Student rate: In order to obtain this discount you must have a valid University Student card (and be NO older than 25 YO). It is important you scan and e-mail this to us at the time of booking and that it is valid on the date you are booked on the Inca Trail/alternative trek (you will need to show the real University card upon your arrival here in Cusco and in Machu Picchu).
Extras NOT Included (Need to book in Advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Ollantaytambo: USD50.00
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired.