Overview of the 1 Day Train Tour to Machu Picchu - Private Service
Our one day train tour to Machu Picchu takes you on one of the most incredible train journeys in the world. Following the route of the Urubamba River all the way to the cloud forest that surrounds Machu Picchu you enjoy the beautiful scenery of the high Andes throughout the course of the journey. On arrival to Aguas Calientes you are met by your Guide and head straight up to Machu Picchu for your guided tour of the site.
Please NOTE: LLama Path recommends this tour ONLY if you are very short of time, otherwise You are highly recommend the 2 day 1 night train tour option.
- Altitude at Machu Picchu - 2400m / 7873ft.
- Train To Machu Picchu - Peru Rail Expedition Train
- Distance from Cusco to Machu Picchu - 112km / 69.6 miles
- Weather - dry from May to October, wet from November to April
- To climb Huayna Picchu mountain you need to book in advance.
- Departure time: 03:45am (to be confirmed).
- Arrival time back in Cusco 21:00pmish (to be confirmed).
NEW 2019 MACHU PICCHU REGULATIONS
Machu Picchu was recognized as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1983. UNESCO has been concerned with the increase of visitors to Machu Picchu within the last few years and worries that these crowds are causing damage. They have established new regulations for 2019 to reduce visitor traffic within this archaeological complex.
These new regulations took effect on January 1, 2019. All visitors are now limited to 4 hour visiting sessions. Tickets to Machu Picchu are now divided into three daily sessions: early morning (6AM – 9AM), late morning (9AM – 12PM) and early afternoon (12PM – 3PM). Within these sessions, visitors must choose a specific hour to visit. This is to regulate and reduce visitor traffic within the citadel– each hour is limited to 600 visitors.
The new regulations will have a direct impact on: Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain (not to be confused with the citadel itself). In order to enjoy your tour of the citadel and hike the additional mountains, you will need to purchase an extra entrance ticket to the ruins extending your time allowed inside.
All tours include the entrance to Machu Picchu but, in order, to hike Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will need to purchase an additional Machu Picchu entrance ticket with the Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu permit, which will cost a total of $ 25 per person. These new regulations will come into effect starting January 1, 2019 and will apply towards all tours.
These are new regulations that took effect starting January of 2019, keep visiting our page and social sites for more information or updates on these regulations.
Day 1: Cusco - Machu Picchu - Cusco
Leaving from Cusco very early in the morning (around 03:30am!) we'll travel by bus (2 hours) to the village of Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley where we'll board our train (aproximately 06:15) to Aguas Calientes. With beautiful scenery throughout the journey the train journey itself is an experience. Following the course of the river down the Sacred Valley you'll arrive to Aguas Calientes and head straight up to Machu Picchu for your guided tour. The tour lasts for about 2 hours during which you'll learn about the Incas and visit all the most important areas of the citadel.
After your tour you'll have free time to explore the site by yourself. There are various areas that are not included in the tour such as the Inca bridge, you can ask your guide for suggestions. Later in the afternoon you take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes where you will take the train back to Ollantaytambo (aprox. 2 hours) and then carry on by bus to Cusco (another 2 hours).
Train (Expedition class) back to Cusco time: 16:55pm (to be confirmed depending on season and on the availability).
Expected arrival time in Cusco: 21:00pmish.
Please Note: November to April you must be prepared for rainy days.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Transportation by bus to and from Ollantaytambo
- Return transportation by Expedition Train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to Machu Picchu and 2 hour guided tour of the site
- Return bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
Does not include
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Travel Insurance - you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip
What you need to take
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- November to April rainy season.
Private Service Pricess:
- 1 person US$ 475 per person
- 2 people US$ 415 per person
- 3 people US$ 365 per person
- 4 people US$ 345 per person
- 5+ people US$ 315 per person
Please NOTE: This tour runs only as Private Service.
Student Discount: US$20 (Requires Studen Card to qualify (and be NO older than 25 Years Old)
Under 18's Discount: US$20
Extras NOT Included (Need to book in Advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Ollantaytambo: USD 50.00 per person.
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired.